Chrysanthemum ELA & Math Bundle1st Grade • Whole Day Lesson Plan
Subject: ELA, Fiction
Type: Whole Day Lesson Plan
CCSS: RF.1.2, RL.1.2, RL.1.3, RL.1.7, 1.MD.C.4, 1.NBT.3, 1.OA.A.1
Skills: ELA: Word Families: -at & -it, Character Study, Personal Connections, Guided Art Math: Represent & Interpret Data, Comparing Numbers (<, >, =), Add and Subtract within 20
File Type: PDF Document
Materials Needed: ELA: Required: Copy of the book Chrysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes, blank paper (3 pieces per student), pencils, crayons, document camera/chart paper/ or whiteboard (used for examples) Math: Required: copy of the picture book Chrysanthemum, by Keven Henkes (for the teacher), blank paper (3 pieces per student), scissors, pencils, scotch tape (1 piece per student), chart paper, document camera or whiteboard, object the size of a chalkboard eraser
Printable Resources: ELA: None Math: None
Lesson Plan Description
This whole day bundle contains:
This half day of lesson plans is broken down into 3 separate segments (20-60 minutes each) addressing several ELA standards using the picture book Chrysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes. Your students will enjoy a read aloud of Chrysanthemum, doing a word family (-at & -it) activity, a character study, make personal connections, and a guided art lesson.
- Segment 1: students will enjoy a read aloud, distinguish between –at and –it word families and make a t-chart to sort words.
- Segment 2: students will identify characters in the story and discuss how the character of Chrysanthemum changes throughout the story and make personal connections to the character.
- Segment 3: students will follow teacher directions and use geometric shapes to create a drawing of the character Chrysanthemum. They will also illustrate their personal connections.
These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days.
This half day of lesson plans is broken down into 4 separate segments (30-60 minutes each) addressing: Measurement & Data, Numbers in Base Ten, and Operations and Algebra (1.MD.C.4, 1.NBT.3, 1.OA.A.1). These lessons include: categorizing based on number values, comparing numbers using <, >, =, adding and subtracting using mental math, and solving addition word problems.
- Segment 1: students will draw a chrysanthemum flower and write their name above it.
- Segment 2: students will count letters in their names, categorize their name based on that number, and analyze data determining which names have more letters, less letters, or the same number of letters.
- Segment 3: students will add and subtract using mental math strategies and solve addition word problems using addition strategies. Segment 4: students will add and subtract using mental math strategies while playing the game “Steal the Bacon”. These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days.