“Winter Survival” Informational Life Science Bundle3rd Grade • Lesson Plan Bundle
Subject: ELA, Informational
Type: Lesson Plan Bundle
CCSS: RI.3.1, RI.3.2, RI.3.3, RI.3.4, & RI.3.8
File Type: PDF Document
Lesson Plan Description
Perfect for multilingual students learning English, this bundle of lessons includes 4 separate segments (30-60 minutes each) based around an Informational Life Science text, “Winter Survival,” by Jennifer Kaul. Your students will:
- Segment 1: work in partners with strategic sentence frames to take a literal interpretation of informational text to evaluation and synthesizing.
- Segment 2: complete a graphic organizer to classify three animal species and how they survive winter
- Segment 3: create and use three headings to write a summary of the informational text
- Segment 4: plan and write a short narrative using a graphic organizer about their own winter survival.
This lesson addresses Third Grade Life Science NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards):
- LS2.C: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning, and Resilience When the environment changes in ways that affect a place’s physical characteristics, temperature, or availability of resources, some organisms survive and reproduce, others move to new locations, yet others move into the transformed environment, and some die. (secondary to 3-LS4-4)
These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days.