Narrative: Roller Coaster “The Day I Faced My Biggest Fear”3rd Grade • Half Day Lesson Plan
Subject: ELA, Literary
Type: Half Day Lesson Plan
CCSS: RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.3, RL.3.4, & W.3.3
Skills: Synthesizing of Text, Key Details, Vocabulary, Plot, Figurative Language, Moral, Character Analysis, & Narrative Writing
File Type: PDF Document
Materials Needed: blank paper & lined paper, pencil, crayons/colored pencils, stapler, and a document camera or whiteboard
Printable Resources: Required: copies of Literary Text: “The Day I Faced My Biggest Fear,” by Julia Ode (1 copy per student) Optional: printable “Exit Slip” (as an optional assessment component) (1 copy per student), “Character Analysis” thinking design (1 copy per student), “Brainstorming Design” thinking design (1 copy per student)
Lesson Plan Description
This half day of lesson plans is broken down into 4 separate segments (30-60 minutes each) addressing several ELA standards using “The Day I Faced My Biggest Fear”. Your students will use close reading comprehension techniques (RL.3.1-3.4)(W.3.3), Key Details & Vocabulary, Plot, Figurative Language, & Moral, Character Analysis and Writing an Autobiographical Narrative.
- Students will take literal interpretation of literary text to evaluation and synthesizing.
- Students will determine the main events and sequential order of a narrative.
- Students will identify several examples of figurative language in a narrative.
- Students will synthesize a narrative to find the moral.
- Students will create a foldable to show their understanding of plot, figurative language, and moral.
- Students will analyze a character through dialogue, actions, and thoughts.
- Students will demonstrate their understanding of the five plot elements through the writing of an
These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days.