Apples & Geometry Bundle1st Grade • Whole Day Lesson Plan
Subject: ELA, Geometry, Informational, Math
Type: Whole Day Lesson Plan
CCSS: RI.1.7, W.1.2, L.1.1F, 1.G.A.1 , 1.G.A.2
Skills: ELA: Illustrations, Key Details, Expository Writing Math: Geometry, Two-dimensional Shapes, Defining Attributes, Non-defining Attributes, Composite Shapes
File Type: PDF Document
Materials Needed: ELA: Required: copy of the picture book Apples, by Gail Gibbons, red & green marker (for teacher only), lined paper (1-2 pieces per student), pencil, crayons/colored pencils, chart paper -or- document camera/whiteboard Math: Required: copy of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, by Kevin Henkes & copy of Mouse Shapes, by Ellen Stol Walsh, paper, pencils, crayons, document camera/whiteboard/chart paper
Printable Resources: ELA: Optional: printable "Exit Slip" (1 copy per student) as an optional assessment component Math:Optional: printable "Exit slips" (1 copy per student) as an assessment component
Lesson Plan Description
This whole day bundle contains:
This half day of lesson plans is broken down into 3 separate segments (25-60 minutes each) addressing several ELA standards using the picture book Apples, by Gail Gibbons. Your students will enjoy a read aloud, practice using illustrations and key details to better understand informational text, creating a diagram and labeling it, and writing an expository text on apples.
- Segment 1: students will focus on using illustrations and details in a text to describe key ideas and complete a chart using adjectives to describe apples with a sentence frame.
- Segment 2: students will be able to identify diagrams and their labels, as well as understand that labels give the reader information about the picture. In addition to this, they will be able to draw a diagram of an apple and label it appropriately.
- Segment 3: students will write informative/explanatory text in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement.
These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days.
This half day of lesson plans is broken down into 3 separate segments (30-60 minutes each) addressing Geometry: attributes of two-dimensional shapes and creating composite shapes (1.G.A.1 & 1.G.A.2). Students will learn key geometry vocabulary, complete interactive math notes, participate in both guided and independent practice, enjoy a read aloud, and create a picture created from only shapes (composite shapes).
- Segment 1: students will identify attributes of two-dimensional shapes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided).
- Segment 2: students will distinguish between defining (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size). In addition they will create a t-chart and sort/draw objects by attribute.
- Segment 3: students will distinguish between defining and non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size) of two-dimensional shapes. They will also build and draw shapes with defining attributes to create composite shapes.
These lessons can be taught over the span of a half day or you can use the lessons independently, broken up over several days