Places We Go in School: “Library”ELL • Newcomer Lesson
Subject: Places We Go
Type: Newcomer Lesson
CCSS: Speaking & Listening Standards 1,2 & 3 Reading Foundational Standards 1,2,3 & 4
Skills: English Word Choice, Varied Sentences, Speaking and Listening
File Type: PDF Document
Materials Needed: pencils, crayons/colored pencils/markers (orange, blue, green, black), and document camera or projector for displaying photograph
Printable Resources: Required: picture of family (1 copy for display and 1 copy per student)
Lesson Plan Description
This 1 1/2 hour newcomer lesson is broken into 4 manageable 15 minute parts with a bonus activity at the end. In each segment students will be using a picture of a school library as a gateway to complex text and language development. Students will engage in collaborative conversations by posing or responding to specific questions as well as practice paraphrasing information presented visually. Using pictures, student will begin to find evidence for basic questions and label pictures for the purpose of forming sentences that describe the picture both orally and in writing.
- Part 1: Focuses on observations and drawing inferences from a photograph of a family.
- Part 2: Focuses on picture labeling, identifying nouns and adjectives within a picture.
- Part 3: Focuses on picture labeling, identifying verbs within a picture and creating sentences using the nouns, adjectives, and verbs labeled in the picture.
- Part 4: Focuses on students creating and practicing using sentences about the labeled picture.
- Bonus Activity: Students will participate in an inner/outer circle activity to help them to practice asking and answering questions.
Help your newcomer students develop confidence with English both orally and in writing.